Date:      Wed, 28 Nov 2012 21:06:59 +0200
From:      Alexander Yerenkow <yerenkow@gmail.com>
To:        Kevin Oberman <kob6558@gmail.com>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, Paul Schmehl <pschmehl_lists@tx.rr.com>, portscout@portscout.zi0r.com, Shane Ambler <FreeBSD@shaneware.biz>, Radim Kolar <hsn@filez.com>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD ports you maintain which are out of date

2012/11/28 Kevin Oberman <kob6558@gmail.com>

> On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 7:45 AM, Alexander Yerenkow <yerenkow@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > In that case, near each port should be.mntr contact mentioned, to.make it
> > easier for anyone to contact mntr immediately, instead making additional
> > unnecessary steps.
>
> I suspect that you are missing the fact that all ports which lack a
> specific maintainer (most of them) are maintained by ports@. So the
> messages to ports are only for the vast array of ports that are
> unmaintained. There is no one else to contact.
>
> Ideally, if someone has a little free time, they can look at the list
> and pick a couple to update and submit the update in a PR to ports
> with a category of "update". Or even better, become the maintainer,
> yourself. I have been maintainer for a couple of ports that were
> critical to my work, so I could be sure that they would be updated
> promptly.

Not exactly :) My suggestion about including current maintainer contact
info was about this part of discussion:

 >>Probably more to the point is that it shouldn't get sent to the ports
 >>mailing list - just to port maintainers.
>Did you ever think that sending it to the list might motivate someone else
to take over the port?
>There's a reason ports get out of date. One of the reasons is because the
port maintainer has lost interest or no longer has the time. If people on
the list see it, someone who is motivated might update the >port and end up
being its new maintainer.

So, my thought was, if you ever came to sending portscout messages with
alive maintainer to all ports@ list, would be nice to see contacts
immediately.
You could learn that some maintainer is inactive last time, and next time
you see update for his port, you could get it to work.
Something like that.

--
Regards,
Alexander Yerenkow