Date:      Tue, 27 Jul 1999 14:32:28 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        "Brian F. Feldman" <green@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Soren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>, Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@yes.no>, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: replacing grep(1)

On Tue, 27 Jul 1999 08:19:38 -0400, "Brian F. Feldman" wrote:

> Getting rid of as much as possible, gradually, is a Very Good Thing;
> this is how we get stability and performance improvements.

Only if the replacements are as stable and robust as their predecessors.

In this case, the implementation we'll be introducing will introduce a
performance loss, not a gain. As far as stability goes, there's a loss
involved _if_ passing the GNU grep regression tests is important.

Don't get me wrong. I'm all for replacing GNU software. Let's just be
realistic and keep in mind that being non-GNU doesn't necessarily mean
better.

In this case, I'm all for the change, since I don't use grep for serious
regex work and the readability gain outweighs any loss of performance.
you probably feel the same way. Out opinions are those of developers,
though. It's always worth remembering that.

Ciao,
Sheldon.