Date:      Mon, 30 Nov 1998 14:45:30 GMT
From:      Richard Tobin <richard@cogsci.ed.ac.uk>
To:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Yamaha PCI sound card

I have a Yamaha Waveforce 192XG PCI suondcard.  This uses the Yamaha
YMF724 chip.

I wrote a trivial driver that does nothing more than enable "legacy
audio" (ie SBPro and MPU401) compatibility mode.  This allows the
FreeBSD sound drivers (old voxware or Luigi's) to recognise the card,
but it doesn't make it work - it just hangs (interruptibly) when I use
/dev/audio, and produces no sound when the midi device is used.

I guess that this is because of the differences between ISA and PCI
interrupts and DMA.  The chip purports to support plain IRQs (and
it's in that mode), and has two modes of ISA DMA compatibility: PC/PCI
(which seems to require motherboard support - you connect a cable from
the card to a socket which my motherboard doesn't have) and
Distributed DMA (D-DMA).

I don't really understand this stuff; can anyone give me some pointers?

-- Richard