Date:      Thu, 27 Apr 2000 15:54:19 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Chris Shenton <cshenton@uucom.com>
Cc:        Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 4.0-RELEASE ASUS K7V floppy boot fails -- register dump

> Mike> Actually, I'm having all manner of insane problems with this
> Mike> board, and I'm about to throw it out and go back to a FIC SD-11.
>
> What kind of problems?  A friend has the slightly older ASUS K7M board
> and seems happy with it -- no problems reported.

The system shipped (nonfunctional) with 512MB of ECC SDRAM.  If you
enable ECC in the BIOS and reboot, it locks up.  I've also been thwarted
long and hard by what's turned out to be an unrelated problem, but which
I'd been unable to pin down more closely.

With the suggestion that it's actually the bootsector virus detector, I'm
going back to the K7V to give it another go.  I'll lick this bastard yet!