Date:      Wed, 29 Aug 2001 16:23:26 +0200
From:      Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        Vladimir Terziev <vlady@rila.bg>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems with Squid on 4.4-RC

> 	I really did not have time to investigate this but
> the same problem occured with version 2.3 of Squid. The port
> worked but the "off the shelf" version did not. The problem
> was corrected for 2.3 and 2.4 but it seems it persists in the
> source code available from the development site.
>
> 	I know I have no right to complain since I am too busy
> to maintain any ports but I would like to encourage people
> to submit corrections they make in the ports system to the
> original maintainers.

Hi,

Ok. here's the problem in a nutshell.

GCC is bad with optimisation levels above 0.

Ok, here's the problem outside of the nutshell.

There's some code in squid that triggers a gcc bug when using -O2
and sometimes with -O. There's some magic in the configure script
to disable -Ox, but the gcc version in 4.4 (I think anything
4.3 and above really) wasn't put in the squid-2.4STABLE1 script.

This is why when you run squid-2.4stable1 on your 4.4 box it
barfs after one request - the DNS request is made, and the code
pukes.

The solution is just to use the port. All the package does is disable
the -Ox when building.

Oh, squid-2.4STABLE2 should know about the 4.4 GCC version.
But I just suggest use the package or disable the optimisation
yourself. :-)

Adrian, not on -hackers