Date:      Sun, 24 Nov 2002 14:01:11 +0100
From:      TooManySecrets <toomany@toomany.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Fwd: Re: Serious problem installing freebsd into a...

That is the thread about my question with Kent.

TooManySecrets wrote:
> El S=E1b 23 Nov 2002 23:17, escribi=F3:
>>>ad0: READ command timeout tag=3D0 serv=3D0 - resetting
>>>ata0: resetting devices...
>>
>>Hola Manuel,
>>Are you using ATA-100 or ATA-133 cables to hook your Maxtor to the SIS
>>motherboard. Don't connect your CDROM on the same controller as your HD=
=2E
>>What do you have in your /boot/loader.conf. The following are possible.
>>ruby# m loader.conf
>># -- sysinstall generated deltas -- #
>>userconfig_script_load=3D"YES"
>>hw.ata.atapi_dma=3D"1"
>>ruby# sysctl -a | grep hw.ata
>>hw.ata.ata_dma: 1
>>hw.ata.wc: 1
>>hw.ata.tags: 0
>>hw.ata.atapi_dma: 1
>>BTW, I have one of those motherboards but haven't tried to replace my
>>gateway with it. I have 4 machines with SIS-645.
>
> Hi Kent.
>
> First, thank you very much for your quickly answer to my question.
> The cable what I use is the same provided into the motherboard box. Is
> possible is a ATA-133, because the motherboard support this feature.
> The CDROM are in a sepparate cable and ide, and the hard disk isn't a
> Maxtor, is a Seagate ata100 80 Gb at 7200 rpm.
> My chipset isn't a sis645, is a sis648.

Eintendo, yo tiene 4 computadores con 645's. One motherboard still in
box with 648.

> Now, I try to put your configuration into the initial boot. Just a momm=
ent
> please...
> Well, I put the hw.ata.* like your config, and the result is the same..=
=2E :(

I didn't think about you trying to boot when I told you about that.

> I cannot put anything of your config into the loader.conf, because I ca=
nnot
> install the SO. I try with this config at the boot stage, with the "set=
"
> command.
>
> Please, any idea? Help me please.

Did you install the motherboard. The ATA-100 cables have a blue (azul)
connector and a black (negro). On my cables, the blue goes into the
socket on the motherboard. I have some ATA-133 cables with ~green
(verde) and negro. The negro connector > HD. If you have the wrong
color in socket on mother board, you will have problemas gigante. Also
make sure your cables including power are pushed in all of the way.

Maxtor doesn't always setup their HDs as standalone masters. I don't
know what Seagate does. I have only used Seagate Baracuda scsis. Check
your setup jumpers. FreeBSD does not like HDs setup as standalone slaves.

> Thank you very much for your help at this momments.

I can't think of anything else that would cause the problem.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

--=20
(Acentos y enyes han sido omitidos intencionadamente por el uso de un tec=
lado=20
ingles)
Have a nice day :-)
TooManySecrets