Date:      Mon, 4 Aug 1997 01:10:17 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        Chris Timmons <skynyrd@opus.cts.cwu.edu>
Cc:        Stefan Esser <se@FreeBSD.ORG>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NCR behavior wrt spun-down disks at boot

On Sun, 3 Aug 1997, Chris Timmons wrote:

> Hi Stefan,
>
> I have a couple of DEC RZ26L drives on an SC200 controller (data only, not
> the boot device nor swap.)  Presently I think they are jumpered to wait
> for a start unit command before they spin up (I'll fix that the next time
> I get into the box.)
>
> With -current of July 22, 1997, the boot probe works fine, and when fsck
> touches them I get a couple of complaints but thereafter everything is ok:

[large amount deleted]

Stefan, that complaint I made earlier?  I have my disks jumpered to spin
up on command also.  Don't get the error message, it just hangs at scsi
timeout, and never returns (other than that, I'm still waiting for your
clarification of what _file_ to revert to what version, or to revert the
entire sys code to what date?)

> and the reset switch is my only friend :(
>
> I think it is an acceptable solution for me to jumper the drives so that
> they spin up on power, but I thought that this change in behavior was
> noteworthy enough to call to your attention.
>
> Regards,
>
> -Chris

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |