Date:      Tue, 9 Sep 2014 21:08:10 +0200
From:      Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl>
To:        Dave Babb <dcbdbis@comcast.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: New Project Questions

--5mCyUwZo2JvN/JJP

On Sun, Sep 07, 2014 at 10:59:19PM -0600, Dave Babb wrote:
> Good Evening,
>=20
> While I have no questions a this moment. I will be having questions in
> the near future (days).
>=20
> I am a retired systems integrator who has changed all of my
> specifications and basis of designs to FreeBSD from Linux....While
> retired, I have maintained two accounts that still want me to service
> them...The City of Simla came to me as a recommendation from one of my
> other clients. Based upon my own experience with FreeBSD over the last
> 6ish months, and frustration and embarrassment--in front of a
> client....with Linux. Plus the frustration with the systemd, Wayland,
> Mir, X debacle has caused my other clients to plan for FreeBSD
> conversions by Jan 2015. I am tired of deploying systems who may change
> to some new technology tomorrow, without proper thought, and potentially
> orphaning/breaking my project, or causing me to have to rebuilt it to
> accommodate the updates.....all on my nickle with no recoup of revenue.
>=20
> My FreeBSD experience has been one of reliability, stability, and
> consistency. That's the experience I want to provide to this new client,
> and then to my old clients at years end. Frankly, I couldn't be happier
> with FreeBSD.

Pretty much. As a FreeBSD user since 5.3 I've used releases, and followed
STABLE if it provided new features I needed. The few cases where I've run i=
nto
problems have usually been hardware problems.

But there are some things that one needs to be aware of, e.g. and in no
particular order:

  * UFS snapshots (dump(8)-ing a live filesystem) doesn't work with journal=
ed
    soft-updates.
  * GELI(8) doesn't support TRIM yet, so encrypting an SSD might slow it do=
wn
    a lot over time.
  * After an update to a new major FreeBSD version, it is usually a good id=
ea
    to remove all ports and re-install them rather than update them in-plac=
e.

It is my *impression* that ZFS has its own peculiarities, but since I haven=
't
used it yet I cannot comment om them.

Subscribe to the freebsd-announce mailing list to keep on top of
announcements. Read /usr/src/UPDATING after updates.

When updating ports, read /usr/ports/UPDATING after updating the ports tree
but before starting portmaster!

> As I have rolled out a lot of Linux solutions over the years...the
> current project I have been awarded (City of Simla, Colorado IT
> Infrastructure Changeout) will be first big project I have done going
> pure FreeBSD on the server and on the desktop, instead of my old
> paradigm of Linux.

My workstation and laptop both run FreeBSD, and I'm very happy with them. B=
ut
especially with graphics hardware you have to be selective in what you buy.
The FreeBSD drivers are generally ports of the Linux drivers, and there are=
limited number of people working on them. So it takes a while for the latest
and greatest to become supported.

Having said that, the new KMS drivers for Radeons and Intel work fine.

> Because I still have Linux knowledge in my head...and being older...I
> fear inadvertently "linuxizing" FreeBSD.

I've made the same switch years ago. A big help is that the manual pages are
generally well done.

> I don't know if there are email length limitations, frequency limits, or
> what the culture is on this mailing list.

In my opinion, two of FreeBSD's best features are the *the community* and *=
the
ports tree*.

<snip>
> I would expect at some time to generate a chart, be that a DIA chart, or
> some other charting software (feel free to recommend one), for drawing
> up the new network architecture based upon my walk-through tomorrow.

Does it need to be an interactive tool? Otherwise you might consider;

* asymptote (examples: http://asymptote.sourceforge.net/gallery/)
* TikZ (LaTeX package, examples: http://www.texample.net/tikz/examples/tag/=
diagrams/)
* metapost (examples: http://tex.loria.fr/prod-graph/zoonekynd/metapost/met=
apost.html)

Fair warning, these tools are more or less programming languages for
generating pictures. Very powerful but with a significant learning curve.

> More Q's: Are attachments allowed or not? PDF? or Native format?

Attachments are generally not allowed. But e.g. OpenPGP signatures are.

> Would someone in this mailing list please let me know what the culture
> is and proper usage of this list is, and what is expected of me when I
> generate an email to this list?

Try the Handbook, manual pages and Google first, before firing off a questi=
on
to the list. :-)

Roland
--=20
R.F.Smith                                   http://rsmith.home.xs4all.nl/
pgp: 5753 3324 1661 B0FE 8D93  FCED 40F6 D5DC A38A 33E0 (keyID: A38A33E0)

--5mCyUwZo2JvN/JJP

--5mCyUwZo2JvN/JJP--