Date:      22 Oct 1996 12:10:04 +0100
From:      Paul Richards <p.richards@elsevier.co.uk>
To:        J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Subject:   Re: Read-only root partition. [SYSLOG]

J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de> writes:

> /var/run/log, and a symlink to /dev/log to help the transition.
>
> We might even try convincing the other BSDs of this.

I think this is the way to proceeed. /dev/log shouldn't really be
there and rather than work around it in the devfs implementation we
should strive to get the "standard" changed to /var/run. A symlink
will be fine for backward compatibility (I'm not even sure we should
have the symlink one all our own binaries have been changed but
document it so people can add it if they have older binaries).

  Email: p.richards@elsevier.co.uk
  Phone: 0370 462071 (Mobile), +44 (0)1865 843155