Date:      Thu, 27 Jan 2005 14:18:15 -0700
From:      Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC <chad@shire.net>
To:        "Aaron Siegel" <aj@siegel-tech.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: MacPerl for Freebsd: Convert Macintosh files

On Jan 27, 2005, at 12:32 PM, Aaron Siegel wrote:

> Hello
>
> I need to convert the some Macintosh files to a Unix/Windows format.
> Has any
> one been able to install MacPerl, Mac::Files, or Mac::MoreFiles on
> their
> FreeBSD system?  Can you recommend another solutions for converting
> Macintosh
> files? I have look at Macutils but it did not work.

What kind of files?  text files?  Are you trying to convert the line
endings from the Mac standard to the Unix standard (which is different
than the Windows standard).

My remembrance is that Mac files end in RETURN (ctrl-M) while Unix
files end in LINE FEED (ctrl-L) and Windows has both.

Anyway, if you are trying to convert Mac text files (like perl) to a
Unix text files, just use FTP from the Mac to the Unix system in TEXT
mode, not BINARY mode.

Chad