Date:      12 Aug 2002 13:40:50 -0700
From:      Max Okumoto <okumoto@ucsd.edu>
To:        Antoine Beaupre <anarcat@anarcat.ath.cx>
Cc:        freebsd-libh@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: libh changes that I would like to get comments on.

Antoine Beaupre <anarcat@anarcat.ath.cx> writes:
> >> One quick note: the new system doesn't seem to build multiple back
> >> ends as the old one did (none, text, graphics, text+graphics). This is
> >> mandatory. We need a text-only backend for the floppies.
> >
> > I will look into static linking.  With swig it shouldn't
> > be that hard.   I had assumed that if we used dynamic
> > linking the over all system would be smaller.
>
> Yes. But you need to link with pretty big libraries. libc is the first
> that comes to mind:
>
> -r--r--r--  1 root  wheel  579412 Jun 11 00:18 /usr/lib/libc.so.4
>
> That's just too much for a floppy, especially when there's a lot of code
> in there that is simply not used.
>
> > From my understanding we only need one static binary, and that would
> > be the 'text only' version.  (Unless you are building tcl without
> > dynamic loading built in.)  If the system running libh has graphic
> > the Qt module can be loaded in dynamically.
>
> Well, I see it a little differently. I think we should be able to link
> anything we want statically, simply by setting NOSHARED=yes somewhere.
>
> It's a different issue than with *what* (qt, tvision, nothing) to link,
> IMHO. I really like the idea of choosing what gets compiled in and what
> doesn't, and the new build system shouldn't loose that.

I've just checked and its not much more effort to build the staticly
like stuff.

> > The old system (hsystem) and Swig are equivalent.  They both take
> > in a description of the C++ interfaces and create wrappers functions
> > that can be called from the tcl interpreters.

[stuff deleted]

> This is really nice. And I guess it means that libh won't have to be
> linked with SWIG itself. SWIG is just used in the build, right?

Right.  There is alot less stuff that gets linked in compared to the
old scheme.  Alot of the Pointer<XXX> stuff goes away.

> Okay. Please provide a roadmap of how this change will have to go, which
> files will have to be merge/removed, from which branch, and which
> repo-copies will have to be done, I'll try to tackle this ASAP.

I will write up a roadmap in a seperate email.  Thanks for taking the
time to looking this work.

					Max Okumoto