Date:      Tue, 22 May 2001 14:30:50 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
To:        Sean Chittenden <sean-freebsd-stable@chittenden.org>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Continuing ahc problems - also cause fxp failure

:
:--E0LdhqWfziiBVv4P
:
:	Try this: rewind back in time and install a copy of 4.1 or
:something like that.  If the problem is less frequent, then you may be
:right.  If the crashing doesn't change, then suspect hardware.  I push
:_tons_ of traffic over almost the exact hardware and haven't had any
:troubles, that's why I'm a skeptic of the hardware.  ;~) -sc

    I can't do that to a production machine.  It would also be a huge
    waste of time given the unlikelihood that the hardware was damaged
    at the exact point I upgraded the OS.  It's possible that the
    hardware was damaged from day one, but, again, unlikely.

    Normal use of the machine doesn't seem to trigger a problem... the machine
    has only died in the early morning while network backups were being
    run.  This makes it even less likely to be heat-related.

						-Matt