Date:      Sat, 22 Apr 1995 07:58:05 -0700
From:      Gary Palmer (FreeBSD/ARM Team) <gpalmer@freefall.cdrom.com>
To:        Brian Tao <taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw>
Cc:        FREEBSD-CURRENT-L <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Fixing /dev entries (was Re: wcarchive down )

In message <Pine.BSI.3.91.950422213913.15300I-100000@aries.ibms.sinica.edu.tw>,
 Brian Tao writes:
>    If someone had physical access, would the solution be as simple as
>mounting the drive with the root filesystem on another FreeBSD
>machine, re-doing the /dev entries and then replacing the drive?  I'm
>thinking ahead in case it ever happens to any of the machines here.

If the /dev/*sd* entries were the only things affected, then yes. But when
we ran fsck on the drive a lot of the files normally considered non-optional
for a root filesystem bit the dust. It's either a complete re-install or
a upgrade to 2.x

I'm not sure if anyone has fgured out what exactly happened yet, I'm
not at all sure and I was there watching this happen :-(

Gary