Date:      Wed, 22 Jul 1998 22:16:17 -0400
From:      Adric <adric@adric.com>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Perl5 as default for current

Joseph M. Scott wrote:

>         If I recall correctly this was brought up before ( at least one that I caught anyway ).  I believe the bottom line was that perl5 needed to build ok with bmake.  I also thought that someone had stepped up and made the needed changes.  That was the last that I had heard.
>         If I'm totally off base let me know, also there may be more to the story than just my short version.

I've no idea what the official line is, but perl5 built fine for me (from ports on current) and installed fine too.  It took we awhile to rename and relink things so that I will always get perl5 though.. I did that because of some wacky library mismatching on libnet something ...

Anyway I guess I'll re-cloak now, but put in my vote for an ln in /usr/bin to /usr/local/bin/perl , linked to whatever the latest version is (That's about how I did it, 'cept I copied perl to perl4 too)

-adric (I might've used gmake, can't remember..)