Date:      Thu, 2 May 1996 21:05:32 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@ki.net>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Dependencies...how do they work?

Hi...

	I'm just curious how exactly the .depend file is created...
what does it base its information on?

	I just tried to rebuild libutil, and got an error of:

'Can't make pte.h'

	Or similar to that...

	pte.h was just removed, but even doing a 'make clean; make depend'
on the directory comes up with that error, and the .depend file has it in
it.

	I checked setproctitle.c (which is what .depend seems to think
needs pte.h), and there is no include there.  Nor can I find it in
any of the include files on the system.  I ended up just editting .depend
and removing that one entry to get past it...but I seem to recall someone
mentioning that editting the .depend file is "!A Good Thing(tm)"

	So, how exactly *does* mkdep build its dependencies? :)

Thanks...

Marc G. Fournier                                  scrappy@ki.net
Systems Administrator @ ki.net               scrappy@freebsd.org