Date:      Thu, 5 Nov 2020 12:40:27 +0000
From:      Thomas Laus <lausts@acm.org>
To:        Jason Tubnor <jason@tubnor.net>
Cc:        "freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org" <freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Using OpenBSD guest as PF firewall

On 11/4/20 4:52 PM, Jason Tubnor wrote:

> I think you are getting a few things mixed up here.  If you pass through
> the adaptor to OpenBSD, then you'll address it by the real device name
> and not use the vio driver.  Once you pass it through, the host will not
> be able to communicate with the guest via the same path, it will be via
> some other physical connection back to a switch.  If you want the guest
> and host to communicate over the same wire, then you need to bridge the
> physical interface at the host level and then add a tap to that bridge
> that the guest will then use.

I am fairly sure that is not my case.  I have provided the FreeBSD NIC
to the OpenBSD client with pci-passthru.  This NIC will be internet
facing and I want to have the OpenBSD PF provide the firewall service to
the FreeBSD host like this Forum Link.

https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/howto-bhyve-using-openbsd-as-main-firewall-in-freebsd.50470/

My question to this list was how this can be done using vm-bhyve
commands.  This 'how-to' showed the traditional scripting method and I
would prefer using the 'vm' commands.  The tap0 created as part of the
'vm switch' utility, is able to make the connection to the OpenBSD guest
'vio0'.  The OpenBSD guest is also able to make the connection to 'tap0'
on the FreeBSD host.  The OpenBSD guest has normal internet connections
to the world using the NIC that was passed through.  The FreeBSD host is
not able to make any other connections anywhere other than to the
OpenBSD guest.  This forum article says it is possible.  I just need a
handbook reference or a 'how-to' writeup for doing this using the
vm-bhyve utility.

> We use the bridge/vio/tap configuration extensively. Testing on -HEAD
> shows that two OpenBSD guests can communicate with each other and the
> rest of the network at 3.5Gb/s with bridge.  We see even faster with
> netmap/VALE (17Gb/s) but OpenBSD vio driver has checksum issues that I
> need to sort out.  We don't pass-thru any hardware as it exceeds the
> level of comfort that we are happy with with deployed remote hosts.

This is not what I am trying to accomplish.

Tom

--
Public Keys:
PGP KeyID = 0x5F22FDC1