Date:      Sat, 01 Aug 1998 18:23:23 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NCR controller with CAM...

Stefan Esser writes:
> On 1998-07-29 18:42 -0500, David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net> wrote:
> > Jul 22 21:39:17 n4hhe /kernel: ncr0:0: ERROR (a0:0) (8-0-0) (f/3d) @ (mem f
> a80003c:003247fc).
>
> Well, lets see:
>
> DSTAT= 0xA0: DMA Fifo Empty + **Bus Fault**
>
> The PCI chip-set signaled a failure to read or write
> system memory. This is typically caused by defective
> or over-clocked hardware !

Bummer. System is an Asus P6NP5 with a 166 MHz PPro overclocked to 200.
PCI and memory buses are not overclocked unless I don't understand what
is going on. Belive my PCI bus is still at 33 MHz, memory at 66 MHz.

When I first overclocked the system, tried 233 MHz. And it worked. Did
the fastest "make buildworld" I've ever done. 266 MHz failed to boot.
Set it back to 200 and haven't touched it.

 CPU: Pentium Pro (199.31-MHz 686-class CPU)
   Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0x617  Stepping=7
   Features=0xf9ff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV>
 real memory  = 67108864 (65536K bytes)
 avail memory = 63385600 (61900K bytes)
 Probing for devices on PCI bus 0:
 chip0 <Intel 82440FX (Natoma) PCI and memory controller> rev 2 on pci0:0:0
 chip1 <Intel 82371SB PCI-ISA bridge> rev 1 on pci0:1:0
 chip2 <Intel 82371SB IDE interface> rev 0 on pci0:1:1

Does the above set off any alarms?

> > I wonder if I have some health reporting feature turned on and FreeBSD
> > doesn't know what to do with it?
>
> No, there is an actual hardware problem, and the PCI
> chip-set signals this error condition to the NCR,
> which can't proceed. The current command has to be
> aborted. The driver should recover from that state,
> but this is not easy to verify, since it is not
> easy to produce such a situation.

Sounds like at the very least I should force an fsck.

> If you are overclocking your system (or even just the
> chip-set and PCI bus), then please try with a specified
> clock frequency. If your memory may be too slow, then
> check out a less aggressive memory timing (the timing
> may have to be more conservative if another memory
> module is added).

The problem message has occured about 5 times the past year of
overclocking a system run 24 hrs/day. However there has been another
problem with the system freezing. The freeze *always* occurs while
Netscape (3.01 or 4.05, didn't matter) needed to do something *and*
something disk intensive was running at the same time such as a cvs
update of /usr/ports from /home/ncvs on the same machine.

Netscape core dumped about 30 seconds after the last NCR SCSI message.

Possibly the above problems are the same. Is it likely overclocking the
CPU only would result in this problem? If its the bus speed then I
don't think dropping the CPU back to 166 would help. Are there any
parameters in the Award BIOS that should be checked? There are a number
of PCI related that I don't understand. Have left everything at factory
defaults. Only assigned IRQ's and enabled either parity check or ECC
(forgot which) on the memory system. Memory is 60ns.

If I could cause the problem on demand it would be easier to trouble
shoot. Think the Netscape/CVS freeze was happening before overclocking.
And before the NCR card was added. System also has an old Fast Adaptec
2940. Any chance that old Adaptec is interfering with the PCI bus?