Date:      Fri, 8 Mar 2002 05:46:21 -0800 (PST)
From:      ElephantChild <baloo@gimpgirl.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Opinions requested: FreeBSD-stable and Sony Vaio FXA series

I searched the -questions, -hardware, and -mobile archives and saw many
mentions of Vaios, some of them discouraging, most encouraging, but none
that mention that model specifically. (there's a semblance of specs at
http://www.sonystyle.com/vaio/fxaseries/specs.shtml.)

I plan to use that one as a dual-boot 'doze+FreeBSD-stable machne, and I'd
like to hear about any stories, good or bad, that you may have about it or
its components. I saw that the graphics chipset seems to work under XF86
(on other Vaio models), and I suspect that the internal modem is a *spit*
winmodem and thus won't work, but it says nothing about the CPU and MB/bus
chipset. I also saw caveats about (lack of) ACPI support in -stable, and
about PCI interrupt vs. polling configuration traps, and about incomplete
support for the sorta-kinda fxp ethernet interface that other Vaios use
(and which may not be what this one uses - specs don't say.) OTOH, I saw
lots of (apparently successful) suggestions for daling w/ some of those on
other models.

I'm prepared, if necessary, to show up at a dealer w/ FreeBSD boot CD in
hand and see what dmesg and the partition editor say, and or to ask
salescritters, but I thought I'd ask here first, as the answers will
probably be more helpful. Horror stories, pointers, clue stick
applications, or suggestions to ask on -questions or -hardware gratefully
accepted.

Thanks in advance.