Date:      Thu, 25 Jul 2002 15:31:09 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Ed Yu <edlyu@yahoo.com>
To:        MET <met@uberstats.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD as a Desktop

You can usually find substitutes for your applications
on Windows. The only thing you would really miss is:
1. Outlook's scheduling support. (I know Evolution but
it won't work with other people's Outlook if you don't
buy the Connector from Ximian).
2. Games. (Yes, we have games but the popular games
like Warcraft 3, etc. won't run)
3. Visual Studio. (If you like to program in this
way.)
4. Things like right click to change resolution and
wizards to help setup things, and various other small
things. But once you get the hang of it, you will
stick with FreeBSD, trust me.

I run fluxbox (You should run KDE 3.0 or Gnome 2.0 if
you are used to Windows) as my window manager.
The three applications I use most often are Konsole,
Evolution (for email), and Galeon (for web browsing).
You can find substitutes for AIM (I know there is one
because I used it before, not Jabber, sorry I don't
remember the name) and Yahoo IM has FreeBSD version.

-ed