Date:      Sat, 1 May 2004 17:01:30 -0400
From:      Bob Johnson <bob89@bobj.org>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Cc:        Markie <mark.cullen@dsl.pipex.com>
Subject:   Re: Laptop ACPI question

On Saturday 01 May 2004 04:29 pm, Markie <"Markie"
<mark.cullen@dsl.pipex.com>> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Just a quick question... would having ACPI working on a laptop
> increase battery life at all? I just left it sat idle without ACPI
> and it got to an hour and 30 minutes... I went to start xchat and it
> just switched off straight away after it started loading :o) if I
> leave it doing `cat /dev/random > /dev/null` it only lasts 45 minutes
> :o(

I don't know what the FreeBSD ACPI system can do for you, so I can't
answer that part of your question, but:

FreeBSD halts the processor when it is not doing anything, so when you
are copying /dev/random it should use more power than when it is doing
nothing.

> I am just wondering if it's a naffed battery... or... there's
> something a bit wrong with the laptop or... I just need ACPI? I don't
> really know what ACPI does, so.... :o)

Many laptops allow you to set the processor to run slower when on
battery power than when on AC power: if your BIOS has a setting for
this, it might improve your battery life.  I suspect your battery is
getting weak in any case.

> Thanks!

Sorry I didn't have more info.  Maybe someone else will.

- Bob