Date:      Wed, 14 Mar 2012 06:53:58 -0700
From:      David Southwell <david@vizion2000.net>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: qpopper compile failure

On Wednesday 14 March 2012 07:17:55 Mel Flynn wrote:
> On 3/13/2012 14:01, David Southwell wrote:
> > qpopper has been working fine (amd64 running postfix) but on portupgrade
> > I am Getting the following error:
> >
> > set MISSING_OBJS to  base64.o
> > set MISSING_SRCS to  base64.c
> > Set AR_FLAG =  -r ; RANLIB_CMD =
> > checking for sendmail program... ERROR: The sendmail program cannot be
> > located ===>  Script "configure" failed unexpectedly.
>
> Something severely wrong with your setup. It looks at several places for
> sendmail and does not actually check if the program is a valid sendmail
> or even executable, just that the file exists.
> Not even sure where to start looking. I guess the following is a good
> start: sh -c 'test -f /usr/sbin/sendmail && echo sendmail found'
>
> If that works on the shell, take portupgrade out of the equation and run
> make -C /usr/ports/mail/qpopper clean configure.
>
> FWIW: rev 1.104 of mail/qpopper/Makefile works for me(tm), except for
> the configure: WARNING: unrecognized options: --with-apopuid
Here is what we have in response. As sendmail is in /usr/local/sbin a search
in /usr/sbin fails:
[root@dns1 /usr/ports/mail/postfix-policyd-spf-perl]# sh -c 'test -f
/usr/sbin/sendmail && echo sendmail found'
[root@dns1 /usr/ports/mail/postfix-policyd-spf-perl]# cd /usr/sbin/
[root@dns1 /usr/sbin]# ls -l |grep sendmail

whereis shows its location:
[root@dns1 /usr/sbin]# whereis sendmail
sendmail: /usr/local/sbin/sendmail /usr/local/man/man1/sendmail.1.gz
/usr/src/usr.sbin/sendmail

And a modified search finds it:
[root@dns1 /usr/sbin]# sh -c 'test -f /usr/local/sbin/sendmail && echo
sendmail found'