Date:      Sat, 18 Aug 2001 13:30:07 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
To:        Clarence Brown <clabrown@granitepost.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: What's "Best" upgrade path?

Clarence Brown wrote to 'Ryan Thompson':

> > That's an option, too. Just back up anything you
> > want to keep. (Configuration, Shisen-Sho high
> > scores, etc (my fiancee's current best is 1:03 with
> > the default settings ;-)
>
> 1:01?!!? WOW, my best is 2:35. I can't imagine going
> more than twice as fast.

Yeah... And that 1:03 was no fluke, either... Her entire
high score table is under 1:10, I think :-) She doesn't
stop to look.... click click click and it's all over ;-)

> > and then install the kernel and user sources. You will
> > then have the latest fixes and new features in the
> > 4.x-STABLE chain. The whole process might take a few
> > hours, for most of which you could be drinking coffee
> > watching source compile :-)
> >

> I guess I should somehow install the sources from the CD's
> to the Hard Disk so CVS will have something to work with
> that it can overwrite.

Yes, I should have mentioned that. Load /stand/sysinstall
and install (from CD) all of the src distributions.

> > Well, you're not creating the boot floppies as
> > documented :-) Don't format them first--the boot
> > floppies are images that need to be written, track
> > for track, onto the disk. Read the installation
> > instructions, and (assuming you are doing this from
> > a DOS-based machine), use the rawrite or fdimage
> > tools to write out disks based on kern.flp and
> > mfsroot.flp. Thou shalt not drag and drop thy
> > vendor's boot floppies. ;-)
> >

> Uh... actually the documentation DOES say to format the floppies, or
> that they should be "freshly formatted"

Ok, granted. But, I think that's there to force an integrity check of the
disk. The images don't require (or use) any existing file system. They are
written track for track to the disk. The problem with that "freshly
formatted" instruction is that some people then falsely assume that they
just copy the image file to the disk (using DOS copy, or whatever).

> and to use fdimage under DOS to create the boot disks. Here is the
> command I'm using and its return value:
>
> C:\>d:\tools\fdimage d:\floppies\kern.flp a:
> d:\floppies\kern.flp - File is too big

How big is kern.flp? It should be exactly 1,474,560 bytes.

> chkdsk reports that the floppies are empty, with no
> bad sectors. So what gives?

Hmm.. Since this is off of a release CD, it should be pretty
straightforward. Try running kern.flp through MD5 to determine if it has
been corrupted. Or, just fetch:

ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/4.3-RELEASE/floppies/kern.flp
ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/4.3-RELEASE/floppies/mfsroot.flp

Do remember to download them in binary mode, lest they become corrupt.

Try some different disks, too...

--
  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
  Network Administrator, Accounts

  #106-380 3120 8th St E - Saskatoon, SK - S7H 0W2

        Tel: 306-664-3600   Fax: 306-664-1161   Saskatoon