Date:      Sun, 29 Jan 2012 12:51:06 -0500
From:      Jason Hellenthal <jhell@DataIX.net>
To:        Randy Bush <randy@psg.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD FS <freebsd-fs@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: trying to whack a glabel for a zfs mirror

On Sun, Jan 29, 2012 at 06:00:25PM +0900, Randy Bush wrote:
> > Once again the use of glabel(8) that causes and can cause loss of data
> > within ZFS disks... DO NOT USE GLABEL! it is not a solution that you
> > are looking for and in the long run you will shoot yourself in the
> > foot for using it.
> >
> > What you are seeing is glabel blatently refusing to write meta-data to
> > parts of the disk where something may already exist. This is a good
> > thing.
> >
> > In turn use something like gpart(8) to adjust the gpt label and/or set
> > your disks up properly. This is not the same thing as glabel(8) which
> > in turn is a hack and not a solution and severely needs to be shot
> > into outerspace from world.
>
> i gather you do not like glabel :)

The idea is good but the end result usually turns out to be what you are
seeing.

> as you might have guessed from the ad0s3, the disks are gparted.  the
> reason that they are also glabeled is that this is on a disk controller
> from hell, an hpt 16-port, which seems to occasionally renumber the
> drives, for example when one is removed.  so i wanted constant labels.

Jeremy's solution is quite sensible, but seeing you have these disks
gpart(1)'d not neccesarily meaning they are using GPT but if they were
then you would be able to use /dev/gpt/<YOUR_NAME> that would be
statically available until you used gpart(8) to remove it.

gpart create -s GPT ad0
gpart add -t freebsd-zfs -l zfs-disk1 ad0

and then add /dev/gpt/zfs-disk1 to your pool.

This is different than creating a MBR partitioning scheme that leaves
you to using glabel(8) to store meta-data within possibly used space and
the "It is not compatible with other systems shoot yourself in the
foot.". glabel(8) should be for thumbdrives only!

I see you are using the original ATA driver still. You might want to
also check into ATA_CAM option for the kernel. It might break away part
of your headaches with all these suggestions. Jeremy's suggesting is
explicitly hinting at using that as well. "hint.ada."

--
;s =;