Date:      Sat, 30 Mar 2002 01:54:54 +0100
From:      Wouter Vijvers <woutje@chello.nl>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        woutje@chello.nl
Subject:   A bunch of questions (long)

Hi all!
I have have a couple of (small) problems with my fresh FreeBSD 4.4
install. I'm not new to Unix, but this is my first FreeBSD install. I'll
try to keep this mail as clear as possible by using headings and I'm
sorry if it's long. BTW, I'm not subscribed to the list, but reading it
through the newsgroup mailing.freebsd.questions, so replies from me
might take a bit longer. I'm sorry if some of these things are in FAQ's
or mailing-archives, but I have tried searching through them and
couldn't find the answers to these questions.

General info:
=============
- AMD Duron 800MHz w/ 256MB RAM on LAN behind NetBSD gateway on
cable-modem (IPNat, Ipf)
- running FreeBSD 4.4 (installed from CD), KDE 2.2.2, XFree86 4.1.0
- get IP etc. from the NetBSD gateway through dhcp.

DNS/Name resolving:
===================
I've noticed problems with name resolving. First, sendmail took ages to
start up on boot, so I disabled it (temporarily). It was probably
waiting for a lookup to time out. Secondly, while browsing with Mozilla
0.9.9, it seemed to stop loading very often, saying "Resolving host
www.blah.com...". Seems to be better now that I'm using my ISP's proxy,
though.

It does get the right DNS-server IP-adresses from the dhcp-server and
writes them to /etc/resolv.conf. If I try
--
kees# nslookup www.slashdot.org
Server:  ns1.a2000.nl

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    slashdot.org
Address:  64.28.67.150
Aliases:  www.slashdot.org
--
everything seems to work dandy, but there obviously still is something
wrong (or "not right") somewhere. What am I missing here? Do I need to

XFree86 core dump on shutdown:
==============================
Everytime I reboot or shutdown, XFree86 dumps core:
--
Mar 29 23:25:06 kees kdm[359]: no modules loaded for `kde' service
Mar 29 23:25:21 kees /kernel: pid 358 (XFree86), uid 0: exited on signal

Is this normal?? I would think not. I'm not going to post XFree86.0.log
here, because it's too long, but is this a known problem or worth
reporting about?

XMMS occasionally stops: Device Busy:
=====================================
My soundcard (CS4624) and XMMS work fine, but sometime when switching to
the next mp3 file, XMMS pops up and error-message saying the device
can't be accessed and writes to the console:
--
** WARNING **: oss_open(): Failed to open audio device (/dev/dsp):
Device busy

Can't mount /cdrom: Device busy (again!):
I was trying to install www/plugger from ports and one of the dependent
packages gave a compile error on the line
--
#include<sstream>
--
source, it said:
--
kees# mount /cdrom
cd9660: /dev/acd0c: Device busy

BTW, if I succeed, do I only need the include files to be able to
compile? Is there maybe another way to get the source.

Mozilla doesn't want me to set personal toolbar:
Not really a FreeBSD question, but somebody might still know. I imported
a bookmarks-file from a mounted FAT32 partition (which was a couple of
months old), but Mozilla doesn't want to set the PTF from that file as
the current PTF.

Phew, that's a lot of typing ;). If some of you can give one or more
answers or pointers, I'd be very gratefull. I hope to ever be capable of
helping others.

Greets,
Wouter

P.S. Extra dmesg or other messages/logs available upon request. The post
is long enough as it is :).