Date:      Thu, 13 Feb 1997 13:51:29 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        gurney_j@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: moused on notebooks...

> > > would anybody object to possibly added a signal handler to moused for
> > > SIGHUP to force it to reopen the mouse device?  comments?
> >
> > In the situation you describe, the SIGHUP would arive when you
> > unplugged the mouse, not when you plugged it in.  You want it to
> > be opened *after* you plug it in.
>
> that's if your using a normal serial mouse... but I'm using a ps/2
> mouse... so there isn't a "disconnect" signal... as far as I know...  of
> course I guess I should make the SIGHUP patch affect bus and ps/2 mice
> only then...
>
> currently as it stands moused dies when it recieves a SIGHUP.. :)

So you want to be able to manually SIGHUP it?  That doesn't really
solve the problem; all it does is provide a kludgy workaround.

The problem is:

1)	Knowing you need to reinit the PS/2 mouse channel of the
	keyboard controller, at all.

2)	Knowing when you need to resync the command stream because
	someone has done something dumb like plugging and unplugging
	the thing.

For suspend modes, that's the job of the particular device driver.
Many devices (like the video drivers) don't know how to restore
modes... for instance, how do I, as the console driver, put the
console backinto a mode usable by X, after it the machine comes
back up from suspend?  I can't, if X is allowed to write to the
video controller I/O ports, many of which are write-only.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.