Date:      Thu, 5 May 2005 00:26:41 +0300
From:      Ion-Mihai Tetcu <itetcu@people.tecnik93.com>
To:        Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
Cc:        Jim Campbell <jim-c@charter.net>
Subject:   Re: Problem with portsdb

On Wed, 4 May 2005 17:13:59 -0400
Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com> wrote:

> Jim Campbell <jim-c@charter.net> wrote:
> > Wesley and Bill,
> >
> > You both suggested the same solution.  Before I go off and do it, I
> > need  to be clear about something.  Having done a "make fetchindex"I
> > should NOT do a "make index" or "portsdb -uU" since that would
> > overwrite the  just-fetched INDEX.  Is this correct?
>
> That's correct.  If you run "make index" it will overwrite what you
> just fetched, thus undoing the fetchindex.  portsdb with -U will do
> the same as a "make index".

Yes, make index or portsdb -U will generate the index file and overwrite
the fetched one.

However usually the fetched index  and the locally generated one differs
because of the WITH_* you have chosen, ports aoto-picking dependencies,
make.conf settings, pkgtools.conf. etc.

> It's OK to do a "portsdb -u", but this isn't required, as it will do
> this on demand anyway.
>
> If you've got an up-to-date version of portupgrade, it actually does
> the fetchindex for you when it notices things are out of date, but
> older versions automatically do "make index" ... so make sure your
> portupgrade is updated first.

This is IMO a bad advice and a (semi)-bad decision taken by portupgrade
for reasons explained above.

--
IOnut
Unregistered ;) FreeBSD "user"