Date:      Mon, 8 Apr 2002 20:13:49 +0200
From:      Ernst de Haan <znerd@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Herve Quiroz <hquiroz@esil.univ-mrs.fr>
Cc:        java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Default directory locations for Java ports

Herve,

> What about the naming of the jar file. I have found that every port
> installs the jar without its version number but maybe there are some
> issues about it. I explain : for jakarta-log4j, there is a 1.1 version
> using the Category as the main class, and a 1.2beta with Category changed
> to Logger. So maybe we should enforce the ports to install the jar with
> the version number : ${JAVA_LIBDESTDIR}/${PORTNAME}-{PORTVERSION}.jar
> Maybe a wrapper (a link for a jar file without version number as for
> *standard* C libraries) would also fit nicely (again I am maybe just
> splitting hairs here ;)).

Well, this does not sound too bad. What if we would introduce INSTALL_JAR
that would call install and use the naming scheme you're proposing?

> > Only the JAR file is really mandatory. The other things are optional.
>
> Ok, so what about new /etc/make.conf for specifying user's wishes of
> installing src and examples ?

Exactly. That would be my next proposed step :-) JAVA_INSTALL_SRC,
JAVA_INSTALL_APIDOCS, JAVA_INSTALL_JAR. You're getting a bit annoying Herve!
;)

> The same way (keeping it close to other ports scheme), I would preferably
> make use of JAVA_LIBDIR (or JAVA_LIBSDIR) instead of JAVA_LIBDESTDIR
> (respectively for JAVA_APIDOCSDIR, JAVA_SRCDIR). Indeed those variables
> could be used by the final user to set his own classpath and then the
> "DEST" would not mean anything to him. Splitting hairs once again ;)

No, I think splitting hairs is very important at this stage. At a later stage
it's less important. We need to set this thing up in a clean way.

> about APIDOCSDIR, what about that :
>
> DOCSDIR=${__JAVA_SHAREDIR}/doc/${PORTNAME}
> JAVA_APIDOCDESTDIR=${DOCSDIR}/api

I don't know. There's already a directory specified for documentation. I
don't know what the right choice is here. We obviously have 2 choices. I'll
look into it some more. Perhaps hier(7) will clarify things.

> BTW, I see things are moving fast both with java library ports as well as
> with native jdk porting. Keep on the good work !

You're part of the movement :) Same to you!

Regards,

Ernst