Date:      Fri, 31 Mar 95 9:12:05 MST
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        acarlson@tigger.jvnc.net
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: your mail

> I am new to the internet and am having "troubles". I have a windows 3.1 pc
> w/5mb RAM and use a full service carrier for my access to the net. Today I
> downloaded a file from
> freebsd.cdrom.com   /.11/freeBSD/freeBSD-cu/src/share/misc  zipcodes (825574
> bytes)
> The reason I got the file was to be able to look up places when just knowing
> the zip code. After I downloaded the file I got the file "zipcodes" with no
> extension and although I can scroll through it by using "type zipcodes" in
> MS-DOS I can't figure out how to get this data into a database or someway I
> can use all the data. When I tried to load it into my Lotus Approach db
> program, I got a note saying the file was encrypted. Any help would be
> appreciated.

Rename the file zipcodes.txt; it's a simple text file.

Lotus Approach determines if a file is encrypted by looking at its
extension and contents; if this persists after you rename the file,
insert some text at the top of the file using a text editor;
something like "Stupid software, this is a plain file" should be
enough to throw it off (it's probably the word "code" that's doing
you in).

A CDROM with more recent information is available from the US Postal
services; I believe it is reasonably priced, and that the data is
stored in CSV (comma seperated value) format, ideal for import into
a database.

You should be aware that a full zip+4 database takes in excess of 60
9 track tapes (on the order of 2G of disk space uncompressed) as
delivered by the USPS as of 5 years ago.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---
or previous employers.