Date:      Tue, 28 Jan 1997 01:46:43 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Simon Shapiro <Shimon@i-Connect.Net>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.2-BETA Questions

>          # mkdir /NewStuff
>          # mount -t nfs -o ro nomis;/usr/src/FreeBSD /NewStuff

# mount -t nfs -o ro,resvport nomis:/usr/src/FreeBSD /NewStuff

Now try it.

> 3.  Made a kernel with sound, etc...  Worked fine until some days ago.
>     Now, all of the sudden, without me doing anything (really :-):

Hmph.  Sound still works just fine for me using this morning's kernel.
I don't believe you. :-) You must have mucked something else up,
though you're probably looking in the wrong place for "something"
right now.

>     a.  When init goes to single user, prompts, asking for a shell.
>         You press ENTER and it sits on ``(.???msg - Cannot exactly
>         remember) not found''

I would like to know what that message is.  It works fine.

> 5.  More CD fun.  Once a music CD is played, you cannot mount a data
>     cd because ``device is busy''.  Reboot cures.

Can't reproduce.  Are you SURE that xcdplayer or whatever player
you're using isn't still running somewhere?

> 7.  trying /stand/sysinstall from a live system dumps core either on
>     (the equivalent of) fdisk or disklabel.

Fixed in later versions.

> 10. Kernel Question:  On an i386 PC, how does one make sure that
>     another driver does not use the same ISA ports as you do?

"you" being whom in this example?  The question doesn't quite parse
into anything I can immediately answer.  One answer might be "boot -c",
but that's assuming a certain value for the question. :-)

> 11. Another Kernel question:  A device driver for a controller that
>     is available in ISA, EISA and PCI. How do you split the code?

3 probe routines and one common set of driver code, if possible.
See how the Buslogic driver is done, for example.

					Jordan