Date:      Wed, 16 Oct 1996 08:58:41 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        rkw@dataplex.net (Richard Wackerbarth)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: IP bugs in FreeBSD 2.1.5

> >If need be, make it clear to people that 2.1.5R may be a more suitable
> >choice for the sake of stability, and follow up with a 2.2.5R cleanup
> >release to handle the problems discovered in 2.2R.
> >
> >At some point, the line has to be drawn.
>
> I generally agree with your approach. However I would suggest that not
> 2.1.5, but 2.1.x is the appropriate one for production.

If there are any further improvements to 2.1.X, I certainly do not
disagree.  I was working under the assumption that -stable was basically
dead.  However, if this is not the case, I am not against this at all!

> IMHO, we need to
> continue to provide some support for it until what would by current
> practice be called 2.2.5 comes out.

Yes.

> I also think that it would improve our image if we would call THAT release
> 2.2.0 and have a formal PRE_RELEASE that we call 2.2 Beta.

What is wrong with the ALPHA/BETA/RELEASE cycle (aside from the fact that
it has been pretty much abused/ignored for the last few releases)?

Some of us are quite willing to test 2.2ALPHA if one is made available.

However, I personally feel that in order to produce a more robust 2.2.5R,
several months of beating on 2.2R will be necessary, and this is NOT going
to be possible if the core team has a goal of December in mind for 2.2R.

I would prefer to have a 2.2ALPHA in my hands TODAY, a 2.2BETA a month
from now, followed by a 2.2R in December.  This would shake out obvious
bugs in 2.2R, but would not be a sufficient period of time for robustness
testing and bug elimination.

But... when it comes right down to it, I don't care too much about how
it's numbered, I just want to see something happen.  :-)

... JG