Date:      Wed, 22 Feb 1995 21:41:10 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@trout.sri.MT.net>
To:        rmallory@wiley.csusb.edu (Rob Mallory), current@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: TRUE and FALSE

> FreeBSD Release Version: 2.4 (isn't this where Solaris collapsed their tree?)
> Platforms Supported: Sparc, Alpha, PowerPC, x86 (including VLIW 786)
>
> question:  When I put the cdrom in to install, what the hell am I going to
>          do with all this VME-bus crap in my /sys tree? I dont think I will
>          ever be compiling something with VLIW's on my 386!

Then don't install anything but the x86 specific code.  (But, I suspect
we'll all want 900Mhz Alpha boxes by then. :-)

> Point being, yes, FreeBSD just might have 5 or 6 Arch-specific param.h files
> sometime in the future.
>
> What about the people who want only an arch-specific /sys tree?
> What if I want the whole enchilada so I can compile a new kernel for
> my lonely 486 on my 250Mhz Alpha?

[
This is my opinion, and not necessarily the opinions of the FreeBSD project
]

Setting up cross-compilation environment if very difficult to do, and
making it work while not affecting normal compilation would be more work
than it would be worth.  However, if you are willing to present us with
the patches necessary for this to work, I'm sure you'd find someone to
champion the work and make it work right.

Nate