Date:      Mon, 12 Feb 2001 19:58:31 +0100 (CET)
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?G=E9rard_Roudier?= <groudier@club-internet.fr>
To:        "Michael C . Wu" <keichii@peorth.iteration.net>
Cc:        Mark Abene <phiber@radicalmedia.com>, alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: symbios card...

On Sun, 11 Feb 2001, Michael C . Wu wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 11, 2001 at 04:46:34PM +0100, G=E9rard Roudier scribbled:
> | On Sun, 11 Feb 2001, Mark Abene wrote:
> | > Would anyone care to comment on whether the Symbios 53C825 (NOT 825A)=
 is
> | > supported by FreeBSD?  I saw mention of the 825A in the hardware list=
, but
> | SYM driver, as the sym-2.1.6 available from
> | http://people.freebsd.org/~groudier/
>=20
> I have been using the SYM U160 driver on both Alpha and i386 with no prob=
lem.
> (And many people agree with me on that sym driver/chipset >> Adaptec *

Thanks. I want to believe you :)
(Btw, I haven't any Adaptec controller to perform the comparison:) )

> However, is there a reason why the driver is different from the one
> in the base system?  i.e. Why do you keep two copies of the driver? :)

If fact there are 3 copies: :)

- sym-1.6.x series in the base systems. Is the same (modulo a couple=20
  of diffs due to kernel changes and latest commit not yet MFCed) in
  RELENG4 and TRUNK

- sym-1.7.x in which I did dangerous changes I planned for sym-2
  This driver series is withdrawn now that sym-2 exists.

- sym-2  (current is sym-2.1.6)

For now sym-2 is still beta status. It may well be at least as good than=20
latest sym-1.6.x for FreeBSD, but it is still beta for Linux. If I commit
it to the FreeBSD repository, then it will go to production systems and
large changes will get critical to apply to this sym-2. Or, in the _worst_
case, I will have to fork it, and as a result I will have=20
StillAnotherDifferentSymbiosDriverToMaintain.:)

Btw, I planned to have sym-2 ok before 2001, and as we can see I am late
for sym-2. Software development almost always takes more time than
expected and sym-2 does fall in this category. :)

For this reason, I have decided to maintain sym-1.6.x until sym-2 will be
ready. If you follow the committers list, you will see that I am currently
committings minimal changes to stock sym driver in order to maintain it at
the same level as sym-2. MFCs happen 1 week later since they are not
critical fixes.

In my opinion, users will not see any difference between stock sym drivers
and sym-2.1.6 under FreeBSD-4.x and 5.x. I just recommend sym-2.1.6 for
RELENG3 for the following simple reasons:

- sym driver in RELENG3 is an old version.
- I have checked that sym-2.1.x does compile and work with RELENG3.
- I am not sure that moving RELENG4 sym driver source to RELENG3 still
  compiles.

Regards,
  G=E9rard.