Date:      Tue, 14 Mar 95 16:27:58 -0800
From:      hasty@netcom.com
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: BSD Consortium

> >what goals would you personally put forth?

> Such a consortium should be willing and able to promote BSD.  It should be
> willing to sponsor distributions, scholarships, grants, whatever.

Well, Xfree86 before they incoporated were getting very little
support;however, when they incorporated, they got financial support
from a few institutions.

Next, I think that FreeBSD needs focus, goals, and marketing strategies and
serve the needs of users!

In order for FreeBSD to be attractive to your typical users:
o Easy installation procedure
	My first time installing FreeBSD-2.0 was not a very pleasant
	one. While installaing Xfree86, I got a system panic.
	Net install from my second machine didn't work, the install
	procedure couldn't find my machine,etc...

o iBSC2 support
	A cheap way of getting apps into freebsd. I havent heard
	yet if WordPerfect works or not for FreeBSD after I posted
	the Linux excerpt on  iBSC2 . My net connection for
	downloading 30MBs sucks!

o Dos emulator

o Native applications
	The linux crowd are very happy to just pester the hell out
	of vendors to get them to port the apps to linux.
	Some Database vendors are considering rolling out their
	databases with linux so perhaps this a good time to start
	talking to some of them.
	If we can roll a couple of decent games like Descent,
	it will be fantastic !! Our sales pitch could be that Id
	ported effortlessly Doom to several Unix Platforms and
	recently there has been a lot of attention between
	VR companies and Unix Companies such as SGI.

>|  Robert Hanz                    | Tech support - support@interplay.com |
>|  Interplay Productions          | Order info - orderdesk@interplay.com |
>|  17922 Fitch Avenue             | Web page - http://www.interplay.com  |
>|  Irvine, CA 92714               | Tech support phone - (714)553-6678   |

	I hope that we mail bomb Interplay!!

o People need to know about FreeBSD so this falls on the area of
  Marketing. If we can convince a few vendors to do a port the
  applications we can get a lot of exposure this way.

If you notice, I left out quality for one good reason. I look at
microsoft dos/windows and the quality of the products well it sucks.
As far as I am concern we are in better shape than they are.

	So lay back and think APPS :)

	Amancio