Date:      Thu, 28 Dec 1995 11:02:54 -0600
From:      dkelly@iquest.com (David Kelly)
To:        questions@freefall.freebsd.org
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au
Subject:   Re: Recommendations for SCSI card?

Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au> said about NCR BIOS:

>Funny, we only have one of them in an ASUS board; the rest are in a
>variety of J-random Triton PCI motherboards, mostly Soyo and Expert (the
>Expert boards are crap, but they're relatively cheap).
>
>All of these have the NCR bios; in fact, I haven't met a PCI motherboard
>on sale here yet that doesn't.  YMMV.

What does NCR (now Symbios) bios support *look* like? My Nexgen PCI-90 as
AMI bios but nothing within its pretty graphic-windowed setup suggests
support of an NCR/Symbios SCSI card. Recently checked a PCI/VL-bus 486 w/
AMI bios whose setup looked just like my Nexgen except for the addition of
some kind of EPA crap.

In another discussion elsewhere it was suggested that some
NCR/Symbios-based cards come with a bios support module (on floppy) that
can be combinded with your FLASH bios image and written into the
motherboard FLASH bios. Also hear this often trashes your FLASH bios making
the system totally unusable.

As for myself, found a "used" 2940 with no documentation or software (but
looked like it was new in the factory anti-static bag) for $125.

--
David Kelly N4HHE,   n4hhe@amsat.org,    dkelly@iquest.com
                -- Thomas Edison