Date:      Mon, 18 Nov 2002 09:36:40 -0400 (AST)
From:      "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        Lefteris Tsintjelis <lefty@ene.asda.gr>
Cc:        Ceri Davies <setantae@submonkey.net>, <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: -STABLE was stable for long time (Re: FreeBSD: Server or DesktopOS?)

On Mon, 18 Nov 2002, Lefteris Tsintjelis wrote:

> "Marc G. Fournier" wrote:

> > > OK, I am confused here. I was planning on setting up a production server
> > > and after reading all your messages, it still isn't clear to me weather
> > > it is going to be -STABLE or -RELEASE. Chances are -RELEASE of course
> > > but if a bug is found (rare most likely but still possible) and isn't
> > > committed fast enough, isn't this a big problem for a production server?
> >
> > This is pretty much the whole argument ... and it isn't a matter of
> > "committed fast enough", its a matter of "never committed at all", at
> > least not to the RELENG_4_7 branch ...
>
> If its a matter of "never committed at all" (I do have a few doubts on
> this one)

The only changes made to RELENG_4_7 (in the past month) have been for
critical security related issues (ie. the bind8 vulnerability) ...

> then I guess I have no other choice here but -STABLE or at least some
> other branch that is at least maintained. So, which one might that be?

-STABLE and -CURRENT appear to be the only ones that are actively
maintained ... I definitely only play with -CURRENT on my laptop, as I
don't need it for anything critical ... I do run -STABLE on a dozen or so
desktop and server machines at the University without problems, but the
most loaded one is my internet gateway, so there isn't much in the way of
'non-kernel' software running on that ... I'm a little nervous, now, for
bringing our new mail server online / to full capacity, since there will
be >4000 users hitting it, but we'll see what happens ...