Date:      Wed, 15 Feb 2012 11:48:16 +1000
From:      Da Rock <freebsd-questions@herveybayaustralia.com.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD / Gnome / Audio

On 02/15/12 10:00, Tim Gustafson wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've read through a zillion posts in the FreeBSD forums and various other Google sources about getting audio to work in Gnome on FreeBSD.  Most of the posts say something like "pulseaudio sucks, don't use it", and that's fine, but what do I replace it with?  Since I've removed pulseaudio from all my installed ports, I now have no audio control panel under "System", "Preferences", and I have no volume control slider near the clock.
>
> Audio is working in that I can play a video in Firefox and hear the audio, but it's currently coming out the wrong sound card (for whatever reason, Dell's audio card shows up twice: once for the internal speaker and once for the external speaker/headphone jacks).  So I can't tell Gnome to push the audio out /dev/dsp1 now, rather than /dev/dsp0.
>
> Basically, how do I control how applications put sound out to my system when pulseaudio is not installed?
You're probably best sticking with pulseaudio (redundant as it may be on
FreeBSD), as it offers some gui tools (IF that is what you desire).
Alternatively, search ports for a GUI audio controller widget/applet
that is designed for FreeBSD or at least OSS.

IF GUI is not a must, then use sysctl hw.snd.default_unit to control
where the sound comes out. It may not be quite as dynamic as pulse
though (as in you may not be able to switch during an application
running - I could be wrong, and your mileage may vary).

It does sound like you need a GUI by your comments. If you can't find
one, you could probably build one easily enough using perl or python or
<insert fav lang here>. Then you can customise how you like :)

HTH