Date:      Thu, 04 Nov 1999 11:50:50 ART
From:      "Ricardo Bernardini" <rbernardini@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: aio Functions

Well !! That's far more than the things I'm having trouble with!! I'm not
being able to make ONE asynchronous read. I've tried the aio functions with
file I/O and it worked fine, I've also tried the socket I/O with read() and
it worked fine too. But when I issue the read to the async queue an try to
get its status aio_error returns -1 and sets errno to EINVAL.
Anyway this is a test program just to become familiar with the fucntions
before actually using them, so I really need more information about them,
and the aiocb_t struct.
Thanks for your answer.

Saludos / Regards
Ricardo Bernardini

----Original Message Follows----
From: Christopher Sedore <cmsedore@mailbox.syr.edu>
 > Hello list!
 >
 > I'm starting with aio functions (aio_read, aio_return, etc.), I've made
them
 > work with disk file I/O, now I'm trying with TCP sockets not with the
same
 > success. Does anyone know if it is posible to do what I'm trying? Or
where
 > to find more info about this function group? I'just read the man pages
about
 > them.

Which version of FreeBSD are you using?  Its best to be using -current
from my experience.  TCP sockets should work, but they'll be pretty
crippled for certain kinds of uses (like trying to have an outstanding
read on more than a couple dozen sockets, etc).

I've got a set of patches that fix this and the fact that signals don't
get issued for completion on certain types of requests.  I'm hoping to get
it committed, but feel free to contact me for the latest stuff until then.
I just finished updating and consolidating my patches so they cleanly
apply to -current of a week ago.  Testing thus far appears promising--I'm
balancing more than a few sockets and pushing 10MB/sec through them (disk
to socket and the inverse).  I killed the last bug I knew of this week
(occasionally paniced under some wierd process shutdown conditions).

I hope to try 1000 descriptors soon.

-Chris