Date:      Tue, 20 Feb 1996 18:59:13 -0800
From:      davidg@Root.COM (David Greenman)
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mbuf enhancement patch

>>>I found the ep driver always keeps some mbuf's in its pool. Is this
>>>because mbuf allocation is too expensive for boards which equip small
>>>receive buffer? If this is the case, some improvement (not mine :-) is
>>>desirable.
>>
>>   I think that's what the author thought, but the FIFO on the 3c509 should be
>>sufficiently large enough to not need the extra 1% of speed that having the
>>private pool gets you. Our malloc implementation is quite efficient, actually.
>
>The old 3c509 has 2k bytes RX FIFO. Is this large enough?

   Yes, but a bit tight. If the driver were properly written, large packets
would be put in mbuf clusters which are allocated out of a private pool and
should be as fast as the pool that the driver is maintaining. I haven't looked
at the driver source in any detail...I've instead decided to rewrite it at
some point in the future, but haven't had the time + enough interest yet.

-DG

David Greenman