Date:      Wed, 9 Feb 2000 15:03:56 +0100
From:      Thierry.Herbelot@alcatel.fr
To:        David Wiard <dave@srn.com>
Cc:        Mike Morgan <mikemorgan@hfnweb.com>, "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: opengl for freebsd

 To:      Mike Morgan <mikemorgan@hfnweb.com>,
          "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'"
          <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>

 cc:      (bcc: Thierry HERBELOT/FR/ALCATEL)

At 01:12 PM 2/8/00 -0700, Mike Morgan wrote:

Is there a OpenGl plugin that i can use with FBSD?  I have a Viper 770
ultra (32 MB ram) card that supports opengl in my windows box and i have
the same card in my fbsd box too.
<<<<

The only way to take advantage of the OpenGL support is to get XFree86
version 3.3.5 or higher and use the TNT Xserver.  I'm pretty sure your
Viper 770 Ultra is using the TNT2 chipset, so the TNT Xserver is supposed
to support that.

************************************
Bzzt : you have to pach Mesa with the glx port to get accelerated OpenGL (XFree4.0 should integrate OpenGL but it is not yet available)
************************************

Also, what type of mpeg, quicktime, or Flash support does Freebsd have?
<<<<

Quicktime is unsupported entirely.  Nobody's releasing the Sorrenson codecs
to anybody, without licensing fees, so there's no Quicktime players.  MPEG
can be played on a few different players, most notably MTV (not free) and
xanim.  I can't help with Flash, though I'd assume it's available with the

Flash works fine as a plug-in with the linux version of Communicator 4.7 (under both 3.4 and a recent 4.0)
There is also an alpha version of the G2 realplayer available (from a www.downlaod.com ? - I don't remember), which works, but not as a plug-in to the same netscape.

     TfH

latest release of Netscape (4.7).  You might check out www.macromedia.com
and find out if Flash is available for FreeBSD.

--
dave wiard (dave@srn.com)

The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long.