Date:      Tue, 23 Oct 2012 14:25:58 -0700
From:      Jack Vogel <jfvogel@gmail.com>
To:        Marius Strobl <marius@alchemy.franken.de>
Cc:        Harald Schmalzbauer <h.schmalzbauer@omnilan.de>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: msi-x enabled igb works only if module loaded twice [Was: Re: kldload if_igb twice needed to bring nic into operation]

LOL, wow this is interesting. When I first was developing the VF support,
and using
Linux KVM as the host I had exactly this problem, turned out it was because
of the
way in which MSIX was handled in the Linux side. When my driver would first
attempt
to get some vectors the Linux code would go look at the vector table, but
the way
the PCI code in FreeBSD works that table is not set up yet, so Linux would
see no
legitimate vectors in the table, and decide the guest was ineligible for
MSIX :(, but
by this time the FreeBSD code actually DID write some vectors into the
table, and
thus when you load the driver the SECOND time Linux would see the table
populated
and TADA!! would enable the guest to use MSIX.

Now, I went thru a bunch of efforts via our Linux team here to have the KVM
code fixed,
its design was bogus, and I believe it has been, but it sounds like maybe
VMWare has
the same broken design??

There is nothing you can do about this because the issue is in the host,
not the guest,
well getting the host code fixed is the solution :)

Hope this helps,

Jack