Date:      Sun, 22 Apr 2001 02:53:20 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bill Desjardins <bill@carracing.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   FreeBSD as a hi-perf router

Hello,

I am looking to setup a FreeBSD based router running a bunch of
4 port 100Mbit cards. The machine I have slated for this is a Compaq 2500
running dual Pentium Pro's (200Mhz/512k). I am planning to use this as a
co-lo router running dummynet for customers on their own network
segments. My question is...is anyone using FreeBSD under these conditions
and what type of performance may I expect out of it? I eventually
plan to get another 100Mbit from another provider and run BGP4 via
GateD. Is this reasonably feasable? I expect bandwidth to easily exceed
40Mbit up to 60Mbit possibly. By then I hope to have saved enough for a
large cisco, but until then I am very cost limited

As for reliability, the compaq has a raid which I plan to run raid 0/1 for
the best reliability. I have also thought about using pico BSD, but havent
researched it enough to see if it is feasable.

Suggestions,Comments tips & pointers, greatly appreciated.

regards,

Bill

--
Bill Desjardins - bill@carracing.com - (USA) 305.205.8644
Unix/Network Consulting - perl/mod_perl/SQL development