Date:      Mon, 17 Sep 2001 22:42:48 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Eugene Grosbein <eugen@svzserv.kemerovo.su>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [SOLVED] Broken sound with 4.4-RC

Eugene Grosbein <eugen@svzserv.kemerovo.su> types:
> On Mon, Sep 17, 2001 at 09:24:46PM -0500, Mike Meyer wrote:
>
> > There have been multiple reports of gkrellm causing SMP systems to
> > freeze - more accurately, gkrellm plugins cause this to
> > happen. Which prompts me to ask if you are running SMP, and if you
> > have any gkrellm plugins running.
> My system has single Celeron-300A with Iwill BD100+ motherboard.
> And yes, I run gkrellm's plugin reading sensor information.

Gkrellm's sensor reading code isn't a plugin, it's built into
gkrellm. Note that it makes lots of assumptions about the hardware
that may not be true. If I try and run it using the SMB interface, it
locks the machine up instantly when it hits the second SMB in the
system.

> > FWIW, if you define WITHOUT_SENSOR when you install gkrellm, it will
> > not turn on the SUID bit on the binary.
> I've discovered this reading Makefile of port.
> Now, without SUID gkrellm does not show sensors states.
> This is not a problem for me.

I'm running Dual Xeon PIIs. Running gkrellm with the sensor mode
enabled and displaying works fine, including what little audio
playback I do. However, if I enable a plugin - *any* plugin - the
system will freeze up, possibly in as little as 15 minutes, possibly
hours later. More plugins seem to make it happen faster. I believe
there was a system change that's causing this, but haven't set down to
chase down the problem. That I get a hard freeze doesn't help much.

Final note: if plugins worked properly, I'd love to do a healthd
plugin. Healthd has a number of advantages over the gkrellm code, like
working reliably with more hardware, not locking the system up if I
use it in SMB mode, being able to get information for both CPUs, being
able to monitor more than one system, etc.

	<mike