Date:      Fri, 6 Feb 2004 20:39:05 +0100
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Per_Hallstr=F6m?= <phand03@student.vxu.se>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Wireless NIC support

Hi!

I recently set up a small network at my parents' place, where my old=20
desktop computer now serves as an IMAP/file/random stuff server. Now,=20
since the network is wireless, with the only exception being this=20
FreeBSD machine, I would of course like the wireless NIC in it to work.=20=

I also prefer to not buy a new, currently supported card, (if I don't=20
have to) since I already have this card. But I don't want to switch OS,=20=

since FreeBSD is what I am used to, so I'll do what I have to do...

This is what I know about the card:

 =46rom dmesg I get:
FreeBSD 5.2-RELEASE #0: Sun Jan 11 04:21:45 GMT 2004
     root@wv1u.btc.adaptec.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC
... <snip> ...
pci2: <network> at device 8.0 (no driver attached)

And pciconf -lv:
none3@pci2:8:0: class=3D0x028000 card=3D0x041814e4 chip=3D0x432014e4 =
rev=3D0x02=20
hdr=3D0x00
     vendor   =3D 'Broadcom Corporation'
     device   =3D 'BCM4306(??) 802.11g Wireless NIC'
     class    =3D network

The card is made by CNet Technology Inc. and has model number CWP-800.=20=

It is called "Wireless-G PCI Adapter".

Two questions:
What is the probability of this card being supported within the near=20
future? I would like to get rid of the cable on the floor pretty soon,=20=

and I am not much of a kernel hacker so writing a driver for the card=20
is not an option for me :)

What other, now supported and confirmed working, cards are recommended?=20=

I have had a look in the FreeBSD Handbook, and noticed that there are=20
some supported chipsets listed. However, I rarely stumble across=20
sellers who actually can give me a card if I say I want one with "that=20=

and that chipset, revision 4" ;)...
 =46rom someone who successfully are using wireless NIC(s) with FreeBSD:=20=

what cards would you recommend? (I REALLY prefer a card where the=20
antenna can be somehow mounted (screwed) onto the back of the card, and=20=

not one where I need to have an "external" antenna with a cord.)

Finally I appreciate if replies are CC'ed to me since I currently have=20=

only sporadic Internet access and don't want to lose the replies.

Thanx in advance!

Per Hallstr=F6m=20
 =20=