Date:      Thu, 26 Jan 1995 16:22:33 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@render.com>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   telldir

Telldir seems to be a cause of memory leaks in FreeBSD-2.0.  It allocates
memory on each call to telldir and the memory is not freed unless seekdir
is called for the telldir cookie which was returned.  For programs which
call telldir many more times than seekdir, this can become a problem.  I
have noticed that the samba lanmanager server loses a hugh amount of
memory in this way.

Does anyone have any objections to me changing the code so that closedir
reclaims memory for any outstanding telldir cookies?  The manpage states
that they are not useful after the directory is closed anyway.

--
Doug Rabson, RenderMorphics Ltd.	Mail:  dfr@render.com
					Phone: +44 71 251 4411