Date:      Tue, 11 Dec 2012 14:05:04 -0800
From:      Devin Teske <devin.teske@fisglobal.com>
To:        Rick Miller <vmiller@hostileadmin.com>
Cc:        Devin Teske <dteske@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: make release and mfsroot

On Dec 11, 2012, at 1:50 PM, Rick Miller wrote:

> Hi Devin,
>=20
> On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 4:22 PM, Devin Teske <devin.teske@fisglobal.com> =
wrote:
>> Hi Rick,
>>=20
>> If you want, you could follow my approach which is to take the completed
>> mfsroot.gz and use a Makefile to manage the creation of custom mfsroots
>> (keeping the original unmodified, making it simpler to test different
>> iterations).
>=20
> Very interesting approach.  I like it and will test it.
>=20
> It looks as though I would need to add code to the Makefile if files
> copied in later are greater in size than the space available.  Would
> you agree?

Oh=85 forgot to mention=85

The Makefile doesn't adjust the mfsroot's size.

What I do to solve that problem is patch the release(7) process to make a b=
igger mfsroot (and thusly has room for more "stuff") -- this allows me to k=
eep the customizations of "what goes in" at a higher level (separate from r=
elease(7)) while not having to write a lot of code for resizing the mfsroot.

NOTE: I've actually run into major problems with resizing an mfsroot -- tru=
st me, it's safer to stick with bumping the sectors in the release(7) makef=
ile.

If you're working in the 8.x line, take a look at this patch for bumping th=
e mfsroot size:

http://druidbsd.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/druidbsd/druidbsd/druid83/dep/fr=
eebsd/patches/world_patches/release%3A%3AMakefile.patch?revision=3D1.1&view=
=3Dmarkup

Meanwhile, for the 9.x line:

http://druidbsd.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/druidbsd/druidbsd/druid/dep/free=
bsd/patches/world_patches/release%3A%3AMakefile.sysinstall.patch?revision=
=3D1.1&view=3Dmarkup

NOTE: For your purposes, you'll only need the first hunk (the second hunk i=
s needed for other reasons -- reasons that are documented in the "README" o=
ne-level-up in the "patches" directory from the above links).

>=20
>> The advantage is that you don't have to re-perform the release(7) process
>> each time you want to make a change to your mfsroot.
>=20
> This is a very compelling advantage.
>=20

Though, to resize the mfsroot, I still rely on release(7) and the above pat=
ches.

I've personally never had a need to go beyond 6000 sectors, but I know the =
guys at Yahoo have gone much further.
--=20
Devin

The information contained in this message is proprietary and/or confidentia=
l. If you are not the intended recipient, please: (i) delete the message an=
d all copies; (ii) do not disclose, distribute or use the message in any ma=
nner; and (iii) notify the sender immediately. In addition, please be aware=
 that any message addressed to our domain is subject to archiving and revie=
w by persons other than the intended recipient. Thank you.