Date:      Thu, 15 May 1997 00:54:28 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@spinner.dialix.com>
To:        Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>
Cc:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>, "Randy A. Katz" <randyk@ccsales.com>, smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: K6 & smp

Narvi wrote:

> On Wed, 14 May 1997, Chuck Robey wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 14 May 1997, Randy A. Katz wrote:
> >
> > > Does anyone know if the K6 is fully smp compatible? Please respond, I wan
> > > to buy some but I don't want to have to bring them back...
> >
> > Absolutely NOT!  For reasons that have recently been beaten to death on
> > this list, no chips but Intel's will do smp.
>
> Grrr....
>
> No chips but intels can do smp on the *current point of time*. The others
> (AMD and Cyrix) require you to have a chipset with OpenPIC support for
> SMP. No SMP OpenPIC boards have been announced yet.
>
> 	Sander

I might add that there is no technical reason why support for OpenPIC
cannot be done, it's more a question of developer resources and time than
anything.  A division of effort is the last thing we need right now... We
need to get the support for the relatively common APIC systems up to top
notch first.

Cheers,
-Peter