Date:      Thu, 23 Mar 1995 18:20:31 +0600
From:      "Nickolay N. Dudorov" <nnd@gw.itfs.nsk.su>
To:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   World Making remarks

	I just try to "install" -current on one of my
PC's. So I install boot, cpio and bin from 950210-SNAP and
src-cur at CTM-0432 level. After that I try 'make world'
(first time in my life ;-). As a result - some remarks:

	1) make world stops in /usr/src/share/doc/papers/memfs
with diagnostics:
   indxbib: fatal error: can't open /usr/share/dict/eign
because I don't install dict distribution from SNAP.
	It seems to me that either /dict/eign must be
excluded from separate 'dict' distribution, or someone
must teach 'make world' (pre)install eign from src/shar.

	2) another place which stops make was somewhere in
games (I don't install games distribution either) - I have no
exact diagnostics (somthing about absent /usr/games/hide
directory).
	In this case I'd like to have -DNOGAMES option
for make a la -DNOCRYPT.

	3) make in share/doc produce many warnings and
sometimes flood the screen with something resembled TOC.
	There is a huge area for 'improvements'.

	4) and last but not least remark -
  CTM-supported src-cur has no 'secure' stuff due to wellknown
reasons. But we all now can use non-US eBones and secure
source distribution from skeleton.micom.csir.co.za. There is
stil some need for Makefile support for making 'secure world'
in, say, Siberia. Current support in lib (only symlink libcrypt
to libscrypt iff there isn't one) can be more strightforward if
it'll be conditioned by !NOCRYPT. And Mark Grondar (sp?) already
named some other place for more automated (and legal) way
for making 'secure world'.

	Sorry for not proposing fixes - I have no time and
knowleges for then now.

	N.Dudorov

P.S. On my 486DX2-66 PCI/ISA with 8 MB RAM and all sources and
obj on Quantum Lightning 540S on embedded NCR 53c810 SCSI
make world (without profiled libraries) take 8.5 hours - is ihis
right ?