Date:      Thu, 22 Apr 2004 07:58:57 -0700
From:      jayanth <jayanth@yahoo-inc.com>
To:        Don Lewis <truckman@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        jayanth@yahoo-inc.com
Subject:   Re: [Full-Disclosure] IETF Draft - Fix for TCP vulnerability (fwd)

Don Lewis (truckman@FreeBSD.org) wrote:

> >> At this step, it would be better if we used the window size that was
> >> advertised it the last packet sent, since that is what the sequence
> >> number of the RST packet will be calculated from, while the window size
> >> could have increased if data was consumed from the receive queue between
> >> the time we sent the last packet and when we received the RST.
> >>
> >> It doesn't look like we keep the necessary data for this.  Probably the
> >> easiest thing to do would be to calculate the expected sequence number
> >> in tcp_output() and stash it in the pcb.
> >
> > Do you have access to a system that exhibits the "RST at end of window"
> > syndrome so that you could code up and test out this part of the patch?
>
> Nope.  The only report of this that I saw was from jayanth.  Judging by
> the tcpdump timestamps, it looks like whatever this wierd piece of
> hardware was, it was nearby.

if i remember right this was done to handle the Alteons which
generate a RST segment that would fall within the window size but not the
next expected sequence no.
So they would do something crazy like rcv_nxt + rcv_win as the sequence no,
for the RST segment rather than rcv_nxt + 1.
This was part of the RFC though.

If it is a problem we can always revert it back.

jayanth