Date:      Thu, 16 Aug 2012 18:42:47 +0200
From:      Bartek Krawczyk <bbartlomiej.mail@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Nvidia Optimus - disabling nvidia card, issuing ACPI calls.

Hello. I have an Asus U36JC laptop which has two graphic cards (NVIDIA
Optimus technology): an Intel integrated card and GeForce 310M. To
save power on Linux I use acpi_call module to disable nvidia card
completely. This acpi_call module
(https://github.com/mkottman/acpi_call) enables an interface to pass
ACPI methods. Then when I issue

echo '\_SB.PCI0.PEG1.GFX0._OFF' > /proc/acpi/call

I'm disabling the nvidia card. Is something like that possible with
FreeBSD? I'd like to use it on my laptop, but unfortunately it gets too
hot when both Intel and Nvidia card are powered on.

Are there any plans on supporting nvidia optimus? Or at least an
option to disable the nvidia card and use the intel one?

Regards,

--
Bartek Krawczyk
network and system administrator