Date:      Wed, 5 Sep 2018 09:03:37 -0700
From:      bob prohaska <fbsd@www.zefox.net>
To:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Checking USB ports on RPI2

It looks as if one of the USB ports on an RPI2 has quit working. Other ports seem
to work normally, is there test utility of some sort that can be used to explore
in greater depth what might be going on?

The machine had been idling largely unused for some weeks running
FreeBSD www.zefox.com 11.2-STABLE FreeBSD 11.2-STABLE #0 r337511: Thu Aug  9 12:21:02 PDT 2018     bob@www.zefox.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/RPI2  arm

This morning there was  a (very) brief power outage, just enough to scramble a few
of the plug-in digital clocks in the house. The RPI2 was found stuck in single-user
mode with /dev/da0 missing in /dev. Since /var, /tmp, /usr and swap all live on da0
that much made sense.

A soft reboot from the serial console again got stuck in single-user, again with no
/dev/da0. Power-cycling had the same result. Moving the flash drive to the adjacent
USB port allowed a normal boot, putting it back in the old position re-created the
previous failure. So, it seems the trouble is the port, not the flash drive.

Initially I expected the failure to be in the drive, it has been in continuous use,
mostly testing buildworld/kernel, for around two years. That the trouble seems to
be in the RPI2 is a great surprise which I'd like to explore a little more carefully
if it's possible.

Viewed from the connector end of the Pi, with the Ethernet jack at the top, the
bad port is upper right, the working port is upper left. There are three other
RPI2's and one RPI3 in the cluster, the rest of which seem to be working normally.
>From this I infer that the power outage was the trigger, but not the cause of the
problem.

Thanks for reading, and any ideas.

bob prohaska